Can Diet Soda Help You Lose Weight?

The title of this post asks if diet soda will help you lose weight. The answer to this question depends on what you are drinking diet soda instead of. If you used to drink regular soda and you are replacing that with diet, you may see some weight loss benefits. However, I believe it would be healthiest to drink plain old water instead for weight loss.

I personally used to drink regular soda like a fiend, I loved Mountain Dew and would drink up to 4 cans a day, which is TONS of empty calories just pushing me towards my limit and causing me to gain weight. Regular sodas have over 100 calories per can which is a big problem when you are drinking 4 cans a day, as this is 400 calories that do nothing for you. They don’t make you feel full, don’t provide any nutrients for your body, and don’t particularly make you feel good at the end of the day.

More than a year ago when I began losing weight I stopped drinking regular soda completely and now only drink Diet Coke. I drink diet coke because it is the best tasting diet drink I have tried, and I didn’t really like the Diet Mountain Dew taste. My soda habit is now down to 1 or at most 2 cans a day and most of the time I opt for water.

I realized huge weight loss gains from my switch, mostly from the fact that I was suddenly consuming 400 less calories per day. Eating 400 calories less per day results in a weight loss or hopefully fat loss of about 3 pounds per month. Just from switching drinks!

If you are still drinking regular soda, or any juice drink that is mostly sugar, try switching to a diet version, or if you don’t like diet drinks see if you can just drink water instead. See how you feel after a month, and check the scale, you may have lost some extra weight. If you are already on a weight loss plan, cutting out the empty calories of these drinks could help you lose weight faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment